Monday, March 28, 2011

Smash Fat Diet -- lose weight, feel great, and run harder!

Today is Day #1 of the Smash Fat Diet.  My husband and I decided that we needed to jump kick our metabolism and start losing weight.  Since our first date, we have gained 10 pounds each.  We're not looking to be Brooklyn Decker or any of those actors from Spartacus, we're just looking forward to feeling good in our swimsuits (and in Arizona the swimsuit is my everyday outfit!).  My actual goal is go lose 15 pounds.  Right now I weigh in at 165 and I'd like to be 145-150 pounds.  In college I was 155, so if I could weigh 5-10 pounds less that would be fantastic!  Husband has loftier goals, he wants to lose 20 pounds.

The first 9 days of the Smash Fat Diet is a detox.  No meat, no junk food, no diet coke, no nothing fun.  Only fruits, vegetables, beans, tofu, and brown rice.  How much fun is that?  So far breakfast included egg whites, asparagus, tomatoes, and onions.  It was very tasty but was missing cheese... I love cheese.  Our mid-morning snack will include fruits and vegetables (we can have as much as we want and any type of fruit or vegetable except for white potatoes and avocado).  Our lunch at 2pm will be oatmeal with cinnamon and fresh apples.  Dinner should be rather tasty because we are having White Beans with Roasted Red Pepper and Pesto but without the pesto.  I think we'll have either brown rice or sweet potatoes with it.  Finally, if we're still hungry at 9pm we can have a snack of fruits.

Every Saturday we pick up a fruit and veggie basket from bountifulbaskets.org.  It's an amazing deal.  For $16.50 (includes the convenience fee) you get a basket of vegetables and a basket of fruit.  You never know what you're going to get, but 99% of the time it's always good.  This is what we're going to use as our snacks for the week.  We have apples, mango, cantaloupe, bananas, grapefruit, and other stuff I can't even remember off the top of my head.

In addition to making sure we're eating properly, we're going to continue running.  Since we no longer have a 12pm lunch time, we'll be running 1 mile.  That is already 5 miles per week.  Plus we're still training for the Pat Tillman race so we'll still do 4.2 miles in the afternoon after work (only 1-2x per week... I'm not crazy enough to do it everyday!).  If we keep up this new way of eating AND working out... I hope we can lose this excess weight in no time.

Monday March 18th weigh-in:
Ashley - 162
Husband -190

No comments:

Post a Comment